Monday, February 22, 2016

Cadiac ablation

Today is the day. Time to go to the hospital to fix my heart!

We arrived at 7:00 and signed in to the hospital. They called us back by 8:00. Meermaw and Granddaddy arrived just in time to give me a bug hug and kiss. Mommy and daddy were the only ones allowed to go back with me. We went into a long hallway with lots of kids waiting in their beds. I then changed into the hospital gown and got into my bed. It was behind a curtain and we had lots of doctors and nurses come in to introduce themselves and tell us what was going to happen. They were going to take me back and mommy and daddy would be called every hour with an update. They expected me to be in recovery in about 6 hours. Then they pulled the curtain back. I knew that meant it was time, and I was scared. Mommy and daddy started to tear up, but were trying very hard not to look worried, scared or sad. I asked to go potty and they let me. Mommy helped me and I told her I didn't want to go. She said it would be quick and she'd be back with me as soon as possible. I went back out and got into the bed (that they had wheeled up to the bathroom door). Daddy gave me one last hug and they took me away. I didn't scream or cry, but I wanted to. I was so scared. That made mommy and daddy so sad. Mommy and daddy then had to wait. They went back to the waiting room and got Meermaw and Granddaddy. Shortly after, Aunt Karen came and kept us company too. They all went to the cafeteria to get some breakfast. Daddy noticed behind us in line was one of the two anesthesiologists. Mommy had to tease him, so she walked up to him and said - you know I left Kayla upstairs with you, right? He joked with her and said Kayla was doing great. She did just fine going back and was already asleep. He was just grabbing some breakfast (still not comforting to mommy!). After 4 or 5 hours, mommy and daddy finally got the call that I was in recovery. They first took mommy and daddy to a room to meet with Dr. Fish. He told us that everything went great! Thank you, God! Kayla is doing great! Thank you, God! He was able to do the ablation. He thinks he fixed my heart!!! He also found something else wrong and fixed it while he was in there too. He wants to do an EKG tomorrow and then I should get to go home!! I'll have to go back for several more EKG's to make sure it is all doing well. Then I'll be fixed for life! Thank you, God! Mommy and daddy got to finally go back to see me. I was very drowsy and still pretty sleepy. They gave me a Popsicle to see how I'd do. I did great! I was so thirsty! I had a catheter in because I now have to lay flat for 6 hours. I did not like the catheter!!! I kept asking for them to take it out (or I kept telling them I had to go potty, not understanding I had a catheter). They finally took it out. Then I realized I didn't have on underwear and I was very upset. I wanted my underwear on!! And I wanted it on now!!! The anesthesiologist came to check on me and saw I was upset. Once he determined that is all it was about, he let me put my underwear back on. Then I was all better. They eventually wheeled me up to my room. That's when I got to see Meermaw and Granddaddy. I also got to order some lunch. I still couldn't get up, so mommy fed me. I ate every bite! Grilled chicken and mashed potatoes, of course! A couple hours before I could get up, I really had to pee. Mommy couldn't find a nurse, so she helped me use a bed pan, successfully. It was great, but I was glad to pee. Before you knew it, it was finally 6:30 and I could sit up. And go to the bathroom to pee. Ahhhh, that felt great. When I was ready for dinner, mommy called and realized the cafeteria was already closed! At 7:30. :( She then went downstairs to try to find grilled chicken and mashed potatoes. The best she could do was grilled chicken breast from Subway (hold the bread, cheese and veggies)....and a chocolate sprinkle cup cone from Ben and Jerry's. I loved it!













No comments:

Post a Comment